Are you an ESOL teacher who wants additional strategies to strengthen your work with ELs?
Or, are you a content area or classroom teacher who needs strategies and tools to foster ELs’ acquisition of language and content?
Or, do you know a colleague whose ELs could benefit from additional strategies?
We’d love for you and your colleagues to join us in our online, interactive self-paced EL strategies course. Together, we’ll explore research-based practices for supporting ELs as they learn academic language and content. These practices are based on Diane and Sydney’s best selling book Unlocking English Learners’ Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible. Over the three course components, you will have an opportunity to learn about and apply strategies to:
- Effectively scaffold content instruction for ELs of varying proficiency levels,
- Incorporate academic conversations into lessons to support ELs’ oral language development and content learning, and
- Use formative assessments to assess ELs’ language and content learning and plan instruction tailored to meet ELs’ specific academic needs.
As in our other online courses, the heart of this course is a facilitated Professional Learning Community (PLC)-based discussion. You will be able to share your expertise with colleagues as well as learn what strategies others are using to effectively support ELs in their schools and districts.
The six-week guided online course offers you:
- Three flexible learning components that you can work on at times that are most convenient for you
- 12 hour professional development certificate upon satisfactory completion of the course*
- Interactive PLC discussions that provide opportunities to apply strategies, share, and develop ideas
- Video clips of EL strategies in action in the classroom
- Practical application activities to apply course content to your own contexts
- Resource and tool sharing
- Guiding and reflective questions in a note-taking guide
*You will need to confirm the PD hours with your school or district.
June 29th - August 7th, 2020
Use the button above to pay through PayPal and be enrolled within minutes!
We also accept purchase orders to facilitate payment by invoice. Please reach out to email@example.com for more information.
Interested in earning graduate credit for this course? One graduate credit can be obtained through Trinity Washington University, DC for an additional fee of $199 per credit and the successful completion of the course.