Are you satisfied with your English learners’ (ELs’) equitable learning opportunities and parent involvement in your school?
Join us as we explore the concept of advocacy and delve into issues and solutions specific to ELs in this six-week guided online course. Framed around the book Advocating for English Learners by Diane Staehr Fenner, the course is designed to help you explore the topics in a deeper way and to support you in applying what you learn to your own context. Over the three self-paced components, you will identify and use effective strategies to advocate for ELs in your own context to provide equitable learning opportunities and supported parent involvement in your school.
The heart of this course is the Professional Learning Community in which you will interact with other educators and course facilitators from the SupportEd team. The PLC provides an opportunity to build your understanding and skills in advocacy while also contributing to the field by sharing your own professional experience. You’ll develop strategies to promote a school climate that builds on ELs’ strengths and supports a shared sense of responsibility for ELs. By the end of the course, you will set goals to address an EL advocacy issue in your context, empowered with a toolbox full of ideas and a network of supportive peers.
The six-week guided online course offers:
- Three self-paced components framed around Diane Staehr Fenner’s bestselling book Advocating for English Learners
- 12 hour professional development certificate provided upon satisfactory completion of the course*
- Access to an online Professional Learning Community for advocacy course discussion
- Guiding and reflective questions in a note-taking guide
- Activities to apply EL advocacy course content to case studies and participants’ own contexts
- A chance to create and receive feedback on an EL advocacy plan for participants to implement in their schools
- Opportunities for participants to share resources
- Purchase of Advocating for English Learners: A Guide for Educators is strongly recommended
*You will need to confirm the PD hours with your school or district.
Enrollment now open for winter session: January 25 - March 8, 2021
Use the button above to pay through PayPal and be enrolled within minutes!
We also accept purchase orders to facilitate payment by invoice. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interested in earning graduate credit for this course? One graduate credit can be obtained through Trinity Washington University, DC for an additional fee of $199 per credit and the successful completion of the course.